HOW TO FLAVOUR HOMEBREWED KOMBUCHA
Flavouring and bottling kombucha is simple and easy!
Be mindful that some fruits and ingredients, rich in natural sugars, as sugar may cause the fermentation to continue, creating carbonation (fizziness).
1) Using a 500ml glass bottle, add 2-4 tablespoons of your favourite fruits, veggies, juices or herbs to each bottle.
2) Pour brewed kombucha into each bottle using a funnel, leaving only 3cm - 5cm of space at the top.
3) Seal the bottles and store in a warm, dark place for 2-4 days.
4) After 2-4 days, move your bottles to the refrigerator.
5) Once chilled, pop the top, strain your brew over ice and enjoy your very own, fresh home-brewed kombucha!
6) If this is the first time you have used this flavouring a good rule of thumb is to hold the bottle over the sink and open the lid with a tea towel of cloth over it, this will help the clean-up if your kombucha has fermented further creating carbonation - if your brew appears over-carbonated and is making a mes, drop the amount of fruits, veggies, juices or herbs in the next batch to remedy this problem.BREWER'S TIP If you prefer, you can strain out the fruits, herbs and any small cultures or yeast blooms that may have formed in the bottle before drinking.
10 Kommunity Favourite Hombrew Flavours
Below you will find some of our favourite, tried and tested flavour combinations. Brewing is all about experimentation and fun, so try your own mixes and share them with us on social media using #kommunitybrew. The options are endless, so try something new each brew!
FRESH INGREDIENT RECIPES**Each recipe is measured for a 500ml bottle, simply double the amount for a per litre quantity.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped ginger
PEAR AND CINNAMON
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped pear
- 1/2 cinnamon of stick
BLUEBERRY GINGER FIZZ
- 2-3 tablespoons blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
MANGO PINEAPPLE FIESTA
- 1-2 tablespoon finely chopped mango or mango juice
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped pineapple or pineapple juice
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cucumber or cucumber juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 2-3 tablespoon raspberries
- 1 tablespoon dried hibiscus flowers
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped apple or apple juice/cider
- 1/2 cinnamon of stick
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon kiwi fruit
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped apple or apple juice
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger